Featured article (Updated weekly.)
Republic of Brazoria
| Selected constate
Leader: Chancellor Robert Whitmore
Summary: The Republic of Brazoria is a sovereign state located in central North America. Brazoria is composed of 23 provinces, and it is bordered to the north by Superior, to the east by the United Commonwealth, to the west by Sierra, to the south by Mexico, and to the southeast by the Gulf of Mexico. Brazoria has a total land area of about 1,201,404 square kilometres, making it the world's 36th largest country by land area, and with an estimated population of 44.216 million people as of 2018, Brazoria is the 33rd most populous nation in the world.
Brazoria is a unitary parliamentary democracy. The President serves as the ceremonial head of state, while supreme political power is vested in the Diet, the unicameral legislature of the nation. The Chancellor, the head of government, is elected through a vote of confidence in the Diet at the beginning of every four year term, with the leader of the party or coalition of parties with a majority typically winning the position. The sovereignty of the Diet is guaranteed by the Constitution, a document that transitioned the original government into its modern form in 1848.
Brazoria funded quick expansion into its vast territorial claims, an action which resulted in the New Mexico Crisis and the ensuing Pact of the Rockies with Sierra. Cooperation with Sierra expanded into a full alliance after the outbreak of the War of Contingency, a conflict which assured the continued domestic growth of Brazoria without foreign intervention and had large implications on the economic direction of the country through the government-sponsored rise of domestic industralisation. Progressivism swept the nation as a burdgeoning middle class became increasingly aware of monopolistic business practices and their effect on government, and the discovery of oil at Spindletop only further hightened the dramatic reirganisation of industry in the country. However, the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl both halted this exponential growth, causing unprecedented economic and societal chaos, especially in more agriculturally-dependent regions. Tens of thousands emigrated into neighboring countries, and many more fled the countryside for the city, prompting the government to introduce stricter economic controls that would ultimately see the end of true lasseiz faire economics and the rise of the domineering Pact of the Left in the First Red Hurricane of 1932. Brazoria joined the Second World War in 1939 alongside the Allies, permanently solidifying the bond between itself and other Western nations as a global power. Brazoria co-founded NATO in 1949, signalling the nation's opposition to the Soviet Union during the Cold War. Cultural and political movements throughout the later half of the 20th Century saw a general societal embrace of diversity in the country and a vast rise in levels of both education and standards of living. However, the Great Recession of 2008 put an end to constant economic growth and saw a revival of Leftist spirit in the country through the Second Red Hurricane of that same year.
The economy of Brazoria is considered to be a developed mixed market with a generally high standard of living and a moderate cost of living. The national petroleum company, Brazoco, is one of the world's largest exporters of petroleum-based products, and the vast majority of its profits are put into the Brazorian National Development Trust. Brazoria was one of the world's earliest petroleum centres, and it continues today to possess some of the most productive oil refineries in the world, which are located predominantly in the national economic capital of Houston. Transportation services and shipping are also integral to the economy, due to the country's central continental location; the Port of Houston is the second-busiest container port on the continent. (more...)
See the complete list of featured articles here
- Although the wiki is called the Altverse Wiki, we intend to be the official Miraheze port for the Constructed Worlds Wiki from Wikia!
- Maximum amount of "In the News/In the News of the Future" headlines is seven. Remember, one headline per user at a time.
- Please review our Standards and Conventions page before submitting articles or editing.
- Anyone with a suspicious username (eg 'Hjzc871x6x') will be deleted on-the-spot. This is due to vandalism concerns. Please make sure that when you sign up, you have an appropriate username, preferably the same one as on Wikia (if you have one).
In the News
| Current events
- A bombing in the Polish-Lithuanian city of Królewiec has killed 24 people and injured an estimated 40 more as part of a terrorist act by the Russian separatist 'Free Kaliningrad' movement. Of those killed include a 7-year old boy visiting the town centre with his grandmother. The act has been deemed "brutal and extreme" by Polish-Lithuanian president Krzysztof Rześny.
- The Sierran Ministry of Foreign Affairs released a report accusing the Mexican government of interference with the local elections of the El Norte territories (pictured) (Cancún, Pacífico Norte, Pacífico Sur, and the Yucatán), by spreading propaganda, stealing voter information details, and funding pro-independence movements in the Sierran territories.
- The Statsministerens Kontor of Kalmar Union announced the opening of new licenses for oil exploration and exploitation as well as for the acquisition of military equipment within its economic exclusive zone in the North Sea and the Arctic Ocean.
- In the Brazorian Progressive Party leadership election, Rosa Figueroa is elected the new leader of the Progressive Party of Brazoria, with a record low turnout of only 712,611 ballots tallied. The election was held in response to the removal of former Chancellor Eva Delaney who was charged with misappropriation, fraud, and abuse of power back in March.
- Ongoing: El Norte dispute, Second Cold War
- Recent deaths: –
In the News of the Future